On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 09:42 -0700, terry mcintyre wrote:
> To satisfy my standards of proof, games would have to be post-analyzed to
> determine whether either side could have made better moves. Duplicate games
> would be thrown out; games with inferior play would be tossed. We might not
> have the resources to completely solve the game, but we could improve the
> quality of the estimate. At this date, computer-vs-computer matches still
> tend to have gross errors in the evaluation of seki, nakade, etc. Programs
> think they are ahead when the real result is the opposite.

Yes,  as I mentioned this is not a proof.  Neither is post-analysis, but
it would at least add some confidence.

There is always the possibility that some nakade glitch or something
makes it return the wrong results.

Also, the possibility that some difficult to find key move masks the
true result.

It's also possible that a strong go program is more likely to return a
false result due to having more idiosyncrasies.

On 5x5 and 7x7 it DID return what is believed by humans to be the
correct komi,  but that doesn't mean it will at any other board size.

I like the idea of playing thousands of games and building a tree for
later inspection.   If anything looks really wrong,  it can be further
analyzed.

- Don