On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 22:43 +0200, Erik van der Werf wrote:
> > I believe 6.5 would give black a bigger advantage than 7.5 gives
> white in "practical play."
>
> This may be true for your CGOS games.

I did a quick check on CGOS 9x9 and white wins 52.05%

I did not filter based on strength, this is just the whole set of games.
Please note that CGOS alternates colors - if you play a particular
opponent as white, you will be black next time.

Since many games are mismatched, there is reason to believe that white
has an even greater than 52% advantage.    I may later look at the data
only considering players within 100 ELO of each other or so.

An earlier pattern indicated that weak players do better with low komi,
for instance random players win as white even with 5.5 komi.    Maybe
this has no relevance here but the pattern seems to be that as you get
stronger you do better with black.    On the other hand, if komi is too
high then I would expect stronger players to win with white.

irb(main):002:0> 317665.0 / (317665 + 292698)
=> 0.520452583134954
irb(main):003:0>