I doubt that much can be learned from comparing the overall length of rating
scales.

1: The large draw margin in chess compresses the high end of the chess Elo
range compared to go.

It takes a fairly large difference in skill for one very strong chess player to
win 65% against another very strong chess player, because they will draw a
large portion of their games.
In go, draws are absent, so it takes a smaller difference in skill for one very
strong player to score 65% against another very strong player.
If go ratings were pure Elo ratings, the high end would be more stretched than
the high end of chess ratings, just because of the absense of draws in go.

2: And then there is the fact that EGF is not pure Elo:

What if chess ratings were not based on winning percentages, but on 100 points
for every handicap step of "move odds"? (That is precisely what go ranks and
ratings are supposed to reflect)
Such a scale would probably "stretch" the range at the top and "compress" it at
the bottom ("move odds" being much more valuable to strong players than to weak
players).
I guess it would be possible to convert such handicap-based ratings to real Elo
ratings by collecting statistics, but the fit would probably be more complex
than a simple shift and constant scale factor.
But what else would be the learned from comparing the length of this scale to
the length of the normal Elo scale? Not much, I think. It's just a different
system.

So I agree with Christoph Birk that percentiles (when available), give better
absolute skill comparisons when comparing different games with different rating
systems.
Better at least than a rating conversion based on a simple shift and constant
scale factor.

Dave