Don Dailey wrote:
I'm talking about the fattest portion of the human range of skill.   If
you consider the fattest part of the bell, say the 99% of the players
not extremely weak or extremely strong, the range is pretty limited.
In chess it's probably more like 2000, not the 3000 I was saying (if we
consider the middle 99%)

I guess that's possible.

If you consider all possible players, I think the range is finite
although it might be pretty large.
I don't think it's very interesting, except as a thought experiment to
consider players who play weaker than random, perhaps resigning on every
move, etc.    Or actively searching for the worst possible move and so
on.

Agreed.