On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 8:23 PM, George Dahl <george.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is very hard for me to figure out how good a given evaluator is (if
> anyone has suggestions for this please let me know) without seeing it
> incorporated into a bot and looking at the bot's performance.  There
> is a complicated trade off between the accuracy of the evaluator and
> how fast it is.  We plan on looking at how well our evaluators
> predicts the winner or territory outcome or something for pro games,
> but in the end, what does that really tell us?  There is no way we are
> going to ever be able to make a fast evaluator using our methods that
> perfectly predicts these things.

You are optimizing two things; quality and speed. One can be exchanged
for the other, so together they span a frontier of solutions.
Until you fixate one, e.g., by setting a time constraint, you can look
at the entire frontier of (Pareto-optimal) solutions. Any evaluator
that falls behind the frontier is bad.

Erik