Michael Williams wrote:
As for the source of applicable positions, that's a bit harder, IMO. My first thought was to use random positions since you don't want any bias, but that will probably result in the evaluation of the position being very near 0.5 much of the time. But I would still try this method since the lack of bias makes it so attractive. Another option is that you could take random positions from actual games and generate a search tree from that position. From that search tree, you could select a few random nodes to use as test positions. But now we are back to being coupled to the search parameters -- the same thing we were trying to avoid by not writing a game engine.

Here are some follow-up ideas I had on how to get meaningful test positions...

The most important positions to evaluate accurately are those near the root of the search tree (because they will be seen first and may direct further progression of the search. So to generate a "tier-N" test position, take a position from an actual game and make make N random moves. In tuning your evaluator, tier-N positions are more important to get correct ("get correct" means minimize the error) than tier-(N+1) positions.