Is there statistical proof that this is a major issue?   I have not reviewed
the reference to the forum post but I would like to say this:

If you expect something to happen, you will notice it when it does  even if
what you think is happening really isn't.    I'm not saying it didn't or
doesn't happen,  but caution is in order.     To be sure that this really is
what you think,  you must play a huge number of games.    You must also look
at the head to head against the 2 versions in question.    To illustrate the
magnitude of the problem,  there is about a  50/50 chance you will see this
phenomenon to some degree even if it doesn't exist.    Even to get the error
bars under 10 ELO you have to play something like 3000 games between the 2
versions in question and then a similar number of games between other
programs with BOTH versions.

I have no doubt this is somewhat of an issue, even between MCTS programs in
general but I doubt it's major (I could be wrong - depending on how you
define major.)   To quantify  it you must play tens of thousands of games in
order to nail this down to within 10 or 20 ELO.    You could get by on less
games if the problem is bigger of course.

If this really is a problem I can minimize the impact of this - at the
sacrifice of diversity.  In other words, if I increase the diversity with
server adjustments,  then if you have a strong program, you will have to
play weaker opponents more often.     This will also make the ratings less
stable which could cause people to have false observations (and I'm not
claiming this is a false observation, but is there proof that it's major?)

Anway,  I provide a digest of all results (and the SGF games are available)
in order for anyone who wishes to scrutinize the results and show that it's
statistically improbable (which it might be.)

- Don