It is obvious that the current mechanism is bad. And another problem on the wrong evaluation is the amplification of the error. When there are unresolved life/death or semeais on the board, typical MC programs become weak because
of the instability of the simulations.

I think that we need a new algorithm to combine the UCT information into the playout policy. I have already done a lot of experiments in this area, but not
yet succeed. However I believe this idea will be the next breakthrough.

--
Yamato

Remember quiescence search in chess programing. There, captures are executed before the evaluation function is invoked. Maybe a kind of quiescence search is needed here too. In the case of go, semiais could be played out(allways trading an equivalent number of moves locally), before the actual search for a move begins. There are problems with this: finding the local battles, trading moves realistically, compensating for lost ko threats, attempting to playout a "hot" fight, ect. But getting rid of useless combinatorial explosions would be worth a lot.

Stefan