Ofcourse I can't say what a "correct" opening is.
What I can say though, is that if bots are onto something with their strange
openings, at this point it's by accident.
It is not by accident, it is consistent with what the bot can read.

What I mean is that it may well be legitimate to play "strange" looking opening moves at the highest level. But that the current generation of bots is so biased by certain blind spots that it is impossible to tell at this point if their "style" stems in part from global evaluation or solely from their biases. You are right ofcourse that this reflects their reading, but that reading will be seriously off when one side sytematically has a better chance of guessing good moves than the other.(With "side" I don't mean human vs. bot but invader vs defender)

They really do underestimate the chances of an invader.
Maybe it is obvious for a player stronger than the bot, but i am 1 stone
weaker than zen19 and i have hard time to beat it, even if i know it will
play cosmic style.
And i find it is very strong at sacrifying something to go back to its beloved
center

Yes. Zen would not be 1-2d on kgs if it couldn't hold it's own against opponents that allready knew what it was up to.

That goes for moyo "parachute" invasions as well as corner invasions.
I think that's because the likelyhood of randomly playing killing moves is
greater than the chance of randomly playing shinogi moves.
Disproving the initial hypothesis about such an invasion is an unsolved
task.
David Fotland made a similar comment about semeais that are incorrectly
evaluated because the losing side can play its moves in any order
while the winning side cannot.

I have the same problem during my games against humans :)
It seems 1d bots have more or less the same problems as 'cosmic 1d' players.

Alain.

I don't quite agree here. For example, a human 1d is much better than zen at judging 3-3 invasions. Zen has serious deficits in judging the prospects of an invasion in a fairly unstructured area.(compared to humans, not to other bots) Otoh, there are areas were Zen is clearly superior to most human 1ds. It is surprisingly good at hand to hand fighting. And it's exagerated optimism when it comes to killing groups has left many opponents stunned in disbelief when Zen actually killed an almost impregnable group.

Stefan