Am Samstag, den 20.12.2014, 09:43 +0100 schrieb Stefan Kaitschick:
> Great work. Looks like the age of nn is here.
>
> How does this compare in computation time to a heavy MC move
> generator?
>

> One very minor quibble, I feel like a nag for even mentioning it:  You
> write
> "The most frequently cited reason for the difficulty of Go, compared
> to games such as Chess, Scrabble
> or Shogi, is the difficulty of constructing an evaluation function
> that can differentiate good moves
> from bad in a given position."
>

> If MC has shown anything, it's that computationally, it's much easier
> to suggest a good move, than to evaluate the position.
>
> This is still true with your paper, it's just that the move suggestion
> has become even better.

It is, but I do not think, that this is necessarily a feature of NN.
NNs might be a good evaluators, but it is much easier to train them for
a move predictor, as it is not easy to get training data sets for an
evaluation function?!

Detlef

P.S.: As we all might be trying to start incorporating NN into our
engines, we might bundle our resources, at least for the first start?!
Maybe exchanging open source software links for NN. I personally would
have started trying NN some time ago, if iOS had OpenCL support, as my
aim is to get a strong iPad go program....