If you start with a 19x19 grid and you take convolutional filters of size
5x5 (as an example), you'll end up with a board of size 15x15, because a
5x5 box can be placed inside a 19x19 board in 15x15 different locations. We
can get 19x19 outputs if we allow the 5x5 box to be centered on any point,
but then you need to do multiply by values outside of the original 19x19
board. Zero-padding just means you'll use 0 as the value coming from
outside the board. You can either prepare a 23x23 matrix with two rows of
zeros along the edges, or you can just keep the 19x19 input and do your
math carefully so terms outside the board are ignored.