The numbers look pretty impressive! So this DNN is as strong as
a full-fledged MCTS engine with non-trivial thinking time. The increased
supervision is a nice idea, but even barring that this seems like quite
a boost to the previously published results?  Surprising that this is
just thanks to relatively simple tweaks to representations and removing
features... (Or is there anything important I missed?)

I'm not sure what's the implementation difference between darkfores1 and
darkfores2, it's a bit light on detail given how huge the winrate delta
is, isn't it? ("we fine-tuned the learning rate")  Hopefully peer review
will help.

Do I understand it right that in the tree, they sort moves by their
probability estimate, keep only moves whose probability sum up to
0.8, prune the rest and use just plain UCT with no priors afterwards?
The result with +MCTS isn't at all convincing - it just shows that
MCTS helps strength, which isn't so surprising, but the extra thinking
time spent corresponds to about 10k->150k playouts increase in Pachi,
which may not be a good trade for +27/4.5/1.2% winrate increase.

--
                                Petr Baudis
        If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,