> Regarding 9x9, I believe Alvaro Begue has explored this idea in a way
> which perhaps would work better in a go engine. He used pachi to generate a
> database of games by playing against itself and then trained a model in a
> similar fashion to what I did. I'm not sure about the results of his
> experiments. If someone can point me to a large database of 9x9 games it
> would be easy to edit my code to do that.

My experience is the same: My CNN was a very poor judge of life and death.
Part of the problem is that I couldn't get Pachi to behave exactly the way
I wanted (play to maximize score; play to the bitter end, assuming
everything left after two passes is considered alive). But perhaps there is
some deeper problem, or we are just missing an important twist to make the
technique work.

Since those initial 9x9 experiments I have worked on the much easier
problem of coming up with a probability distribution for the next move, to
make sure I wasn't doing anything really wrong with the neural network. It
seems to be working well enough (48% accuracy with a very limited set of
inputs), so I think I'll switch back to trying to predict ownership and
score.

Álvaro.