!?!? You're kidding, right?
Morality, ethics can be based on not wanting to hurt others,
or it can be based on the notion that non-complicance by
even a significant few can poison the well, so we should comply.

AFAI can tell,  contract and civil law is neither but based on the idea that
cooperation is mutually beneficial but the ultimate aim is
still the success of our own ventures so if I can afford the law suit
and the bad reputation, I can make the decision (one which I
may legally required to due in the case of fiduciary responsibility
to my investors)  to break a contract.  Won't loose sleep at night.

Unsafe products falls into both of the first two categories.
EULA complicance seems a lot more like the third.

Tom Piwowar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >No, I don't violate EULA's, at least
not consciously.  But with all that
>legal and technical gobbledygook, I can't ever be 100% sure.

Good point. But alas, that's not what we are discussing. The topic of the
moment is deliberately violating specific terms of an EULA by purchasing
the low-cost version of a product and using it in a way that the EULA
only allows for the more-expensive version of the product.

I'm sad to see us at such a moral low. Did you read about the Chinese
toothpaste? Is it okay to save a nickel per unit by substituting a toxic
compound for a safe compound? As a business decision it would be not okay
if it caused instant death, but it would be okay if it was a slow-acting
poison because then it would be hard to trace it back to the maker.

How far do we go with evil being strictly a business decision? I think
that if we go very far in this direction it makes all the basics of life
untenable. Imagine having to take a vast testing kit with you every time
you go grocery shoping. It may be a wing nuts paradise, but I don't want
to live there.

Today's news is that the Chinese official in charge of regulating these
things has been convicted of taking bribes -- resulting in a penalty of
death. Normally I'm not inclined to support a death penalty in any
circumstances, but desperate means may be necessary whan a society has
allowed things to go too far. Are we there yet?

How about the guy with the drug-resistant TB? He was on the no-fly list
so he booked on a small airline and flew through a Canadian airport. Is
that okay?