British and Canadian system are quite different. In the British the docs are employees of the system. In Canada they are not.

Marcio

At 03:05 AM 8/15/2007, Paul Meyer wrote:
All health care systems, including the US ration resources on some basis. The ironic thing about the health care debate focusing on Canada and Britain as alternative models is that we are familiar with them because of linguistic and cultural similarities but neither are particularly well funded compared to other forms of universal access and while I would prefer either of them to what we have now, they are not the best that is possible. Also, because of the EU, Britons are now traveling to the Continent to get better care from other national health systems (Belgium is poplular) and the National Health Service has to pay for it. Though I am politically in sync with M Moore I do think he is an idiot, even if a funny one. Nonetheless, Fresh Air did an interview with a political scientist who is a health care expert to do a review of Sicko, and though he had some criticisms, he says Moore "gets alot right about the American health care system." If you want a very smart and informed treatment of these issues, Jonathon Cohn's "Sick" (also interviewed on Fresh Air) Oh yeah, just to stay on topic, computers! on Fresh Air). ----- Original Message ---- From: Marcio V. Pinheiro