At 10:07 AM 10/8/2007, you wrote:
>On 10/7/07, Tom Piwowar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >I also sort of assumed that .org meant a real nonprofit.  Otherwise,
>> various
>> >unscrupulous outfits and organizations might simply pose as being
>> >non-profits.  Could have the equivalent of, say, Microsoft.org
>>
>> Today anybody can get an org TLD. When the registrars went commercial any
>> effort to enforce qualifications went out the window. The only thing you
>> can't buy is gov and mil.
>

>so, can i ask, what's the point of all the different  domain extensions at
>this point?  is it like the propagation of area codes for phone lines
>because of the popularity of fax machines?

I doubt if fax machines make up a very large percentage of the phone lines.
probably under 10%.
cheap phone lines burned up all the numbers.  when I had my company, I started
out with 2 lines + dedicated fax.  10 years later, had "MY" line 7 to the
company, 1 for the alarm, 1 for ups, 1 for fax.  for a while had 4 for some
kind of computer connection before cable & dsl.

put 4 in at home.  2 for wife, 1 for me, and one for fax.

> if i register a domain name,
>does it matter if i use .net or .org or .com or .name, etc etc etc.  in
>fact, looking on godaddy - it seems like i could buy a domain name with a
>.co.uk extension, and look as though i was located in England...
I think if all were on com, we would be to 8 or 9 or 10 character minimum.

businesses like to have a site that conveys their name.  my company was ppi.
there are a lot of ppi's out there.  i have ppiusa.com & net & org(for
different purposes)  had ppi.(whatever belieze is).  have
pictureframes.something and photoframes.something.  never used them.  certainly
a lot better than 7&gwpp€Vx£½.com, or
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.com.

I think to have a system of  unique codes all in dot com, one would have to go
to codes like those things to activate windows OS.

>also, in addition to .gov and .mil isn't .edu restricted - only educational
>institutions can own those??
>
>janaki

by the way,
janaki.tv and janaki.ws are available.

I am slawecki.com, and wife is slawecki.net(and never the email shall cross).