>At my commercial bank, a wire transfer cost about $45 for each transfer.

I had to do this last year. My bank was making a big deal about it and
wanted a high fee. After some digging around on the web I found the best
rate was to make a wire transfer to an Italian post office via WalMart
(yes that WalMart). The money was available in only a couple of hours.
While the bank was stressed by the request, the folks at WalMart's
customer service counter looked like they do this all day long. Had
better hours too.