>It really is not that hard to cut and paste the pertinent parts
>of a CG message to a reply or a new message..

Why is this important? I know the price of gas is going up and up, but
the price of bits continues to go down and down.

Quoting before replying makes it clear what is being replied to.
Otherwise it is like listening to half of a conversation. With multiple
discussions occuring simultaneously on the List, a lack of quoting would
make conversations hard to follow.

Some people worry about quoting too briefly. Some people even get
indignant, complaining that a too brief quote misrepresents their
thoughts.