Wow!  Be sure to get AppleCare, if you are eligible.  You'll have another three
years of happiness.

Chad

--- On Fri, 8/8/08, Steve Rigby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Steve Rigby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [CGUYS] My Macintosh saga
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Date: Friday, August 8, 2008, 5:25 PM

   My 2003 vintage Macintosh 17 inch Powerbook G4, long out of
warranty, suffered a failure.  Took it to the Apple Store genius bar
where I was impressed by the intelligent and helpful staff.  I
decided to go with the $310 flat-rate repair offer.  They'll fix
anything and everything wrong with the machine for one fixed price.
Not a bad deal, I thought.  Could even be the expensive logic board
as the culprit, and replacing that on my own would be a lot more than
the $310 Apple would charge, along with fixing a couple of other
things I told them to look at while they had it.

   Turned out to be the logic board after all.  The problem was that
a replacement logic board was not going to be available in the short
term.  In fact, the date of availability of a replacement board was
indeterminate.  Apple's solution?  We have some very nice new models
that you might be interested in buying...NOT!!

   Apple's actual solution?  Here is a nice, new, latest and greatest
MacBook Pro, 17 inch, 2.5 GHz, 2 gig of memory with a 250 gig hard
drive and a Super Drive for you.  They are even sending my broken
machine back so that I can get data off the hard drive.  An awesome
outcome is about all I can say about it.  Best of all, I didn't have
to do any cajoling or arguing or anything like that.  Apple simply
said, "We can't provide you with a speedy repair, so here is what we
can offer you as an alternative, if you so choose."

   Apple, Inc., gets my vote this week as "Best Bestower of
Happiness."

   Steve