Wow.

I think your experience, while nice to hear, is dependent on the person
(people) you talk with.

About 6 months ago, I took my dad's Mac Mini (it was bought about 3
months after Apple first introduced them) into an Apple store to
diagnose what was wrong with the built-in wireless on it.

I spoke to a "Genius" who said he didn't know what "wireless" was
(seriously).

He grabbed another "Genius" who said we needed to install a wireless
card into the expansion slot, then realized it was a Mac Mini and said
Mac Mini's don't support wireless and then offered to sell me a newer
computer.

Neither of the above Geniuses could explain why Apple says Mac Mini's
have built-in wireless.

I finally spoke with another "Genius" who I overheard talking to someone
else.  I explained the situation, he looked at it (didn't open it up)
and realized it was an early Mac Mini and that the early ones didn't
include built-in wireless.  He said if they had the replacement
motherboard in stock, he would only charge me labor to replace it but
apparently the replacement motherboards don't exist since he checked
with several other stores and no one had them.

In talking with him, I said "So, the Geniuses wear red shirts but not
all people wearing red shirts are Geniuses".  He said the requirements
to become a genius had been so watered down that as long as you can chew
gum, without falling over, you can become a genius.

And this is 30 miles from Glitterati Central too.

In this case, most of the customer service was staffed with people in
red shirts who knew even less than the people forced to read a script of
choices.