I chime in...there are 3 types:

Proprietary (read RIM)...if you are a fan, go for it...

Palm based (read basic PIM, calendar, etc. w/sync & some functionality with
add-on software packages some free of which there are many)...huge amount of
free software to add on...

Smartphone... (based on windowsCE otherwise termed PocketPC or WindowsMobile
but mostly the same thing with editions of Word, Excel, Outlook,
AdobeReader, etc. built in which are amazingly like the desktop apps with
all the features and a similar or identical look and feel with file
compatibility or automated conversion on sync)...lots of software some free
to add on...

If you want a desktop in your pocket, look for a smartphone...they have them
in all flavors...

Smartphones need more memory and battery heft...they're smarter!!

I have old versions of Palm & PocketPC PDAs ...not phones ...the PocketPC is
fabulous and makes me feel like I am using windows ...the Palm has lots of
the same features but is simplified and therefor less featured ...for my 2
items, palm has longer lasting battery life because it does less...

Both are color screen...

IPAQ3635 os=PocketPC2000
PalmIIIc os=Palm4