I think it is reception, power management & apps. problems with the 3G models that people have been troubled with ... not the original i-phone...

db

Tom Piwowar wrote:
My experience with the iPhone is zero ...my brother has one and has terrible
problems with reception and other software glitches ...he calls at&t & gets
referred to the apple store ...he goes to the apple store (manhattan) and
the teenagers there know nothing and refer him to at&t ...meanwhile, some
features are nice according to him.  ...the cost is higher than regular
service, though ...he is thinking about returning it under the 30 day no
questions asked policy of at&t ...we'll see if they don't ask questions
then...

I know that is not the general experience, but the only thing that matters is the one unit that your brother has in his hands. I know my son loves his iPhone.

I'm really surprised that you describe the staff at the Apple Store as "teenagers there know nothing." I have consistently been impressed at the high level of service offered by the Apple Store. (Though I have not gone there with iPhone questions.)

He may have a lemon. He should trade it in for a new one. If he is having trouble at one particular store he should try a different one. I know that some Apple Stores are swamped with customers so don't always spend enough time with every customer.