>Until very recently in our history few Americans would assume that if they
>failed at something government would back them up.

This is plainly false. Going back 1000s of years history shows us people
"working together in an organized if imperfect fashion" to solve common
problems.

You are arguing for a brutal and savage world. Is that wise?

Over time people have gotten better at "working together in an organized
if imperfect fashion."  The cons/neocons call that "big government."