I agree with the concept of what you wrote, but when I lose power, the DSL service AND the voice line goes out about 15 minutes later (I have a backup generator that keeps my house power up). It seems that I am served by a local repeater that has its own battery backup - one that is supposed to stay up for 8 hours but only lasts about 15 minutes. So much for "good old Telco staying up when the power goes out". Still, considering the years I spent with no cable service and only dial-up, I am not complaining. Supposedly, FIOS is coming to our area, but I am not holding my breath.

Mike

db wrote:
Remember that with VOIP if the power goes out... VOIP will tend to go out too while POTS tends to be the last comm. service standing. And in times of regional crisis, cellular is typically out too. For a period after the Seattle and LA earthquakes and 9/11 all cell circuits were busy. POTS has a dependability advantage not always factored in when calculating the economics... For that purpose, I keep a stripped down POTS line as the way to stretch my cell minutes and to add dependability.

db.