Speaking only for myself I start with a list of:

1.  What capabilities I need.
2.  What capabilities I want.
3.  What capabilities would be nice.

Then I figure out what it costs to get first 1, then to add on 2, then to add on 3. Only at that point do I decide what I am willing to spend to get those things and if there is a match. New vs. used is way down near the bottom of 3.

I would say that in the MS add, *NEW* and *SHINY* were at the top of the list.

Matthew