I wasn't really saying his printer driver could be his problem, (although it's generally good to update the driver software once in a while) just that Appleworks can be cranky old software and it gets confused.
As others have said, trashing the pref file might help clear the confusion.

Stephen Brownfield wrote:
Jordan,
I don't know where my brother got Norton. I feel the same way as you do and haven't used it since OS 10.1/10.2. I will talk with about the printer driver, because I believe that he does have a Canon printer.