I've been running the Beta for Win7 for a couple of weeks on a four year old
machine (HP Pavillion a720n- Athalon XP 2.2ghz).  XP was due for a reinstall
so I thought that I would play around with Win7.

It runs OK except when iTunes gets going but that was how iTunes ran in XP
on that machine.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Jeff Wright <jswri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1) You don't want Win7 right now. It will be a year or two before M$
> > works out the defects. Meanwhile you will you will be using XP, a
> > version that has been worked on long enough to have fixed many of the
> > worse defects.
>
> I can hear Tom now at home now, whimpering like Dr. Smith from "Lost in
> Space," "Oh, Will, the pain, the pain.  I simply can't bear to try it...."
>
> MS is actually ahead of the game in driver support; they've insisted that
> there won't be the problem as there was with Vista and so far, that claim
> has been delivered.
>
> When I installed the beta on a new laptop at work, Dell had no video
> drivers
> on their site that would install. All would bork out claiming the OS wasn't
> supported, even for Vista drivers.  Instead, I used the Windows update
> driver function and had it pull down drivers from the MS database.  Viola!
> Video drivers that worked.  In fact, *all* of the other drivers were native
> to the OS.
>
> Other than that, my Win7 experience has been almost boring in that regard;
> no problems at all.
>
> So, again, I ask, who should you listen to?  Someone like Tom who's never
> even touched Windows 7 or from people who have actual experience installing
> and using it?  (And no, you don't *have* to upgrade.)

John Duncan Yoyo