Never been involved in retail marketing have you? Anything a company does is considered a revenue stream.

Some companies make money on the front some make it on the back some make it every step of the way.

I use Quick Verse as one of my Bible programs to look up Bible verses etc. There is a long story of the original company that marketed it but I wont go there.

At present they come up with a new version about every year, and market it to try and make money. Problem is they just do not do that much to it, why would I want to upgrade it every stupid year?

Our publishing house is selling a program and access to put together Worship Services via computer, including music and hymns etc. from our published Hymn Book. The only way to get this is to purchase a yearly license, copyright authorization and support fee.

The first marketing plan counts on people continually buying upgrades (They give a discount but not much) the second method does not get you as much up front but continually delivers revenue over a longer period of time.

OSX has come out with how many versions over the past 10 years?

MS has had only three.  XP, Vista and later this year Win 7.

XP has had 3 SP and Vista has had 1. Windows did not charge for any of the updates or service packs over the years.

If a person had purchased XP ,Vista (Home premium) and Win 7. They might have spent as much money on OS as a person buying all the different versions of OSX*.* over the same time period.

What I said still holds true. Apples revenue stream is geared more toward hardware selling than software while MS's is geared the exact opposite.

That does not make one better or more right it is just the simple truth.

It does not matter for whatever reason you market a new OS (call it an upgrade call it a make over it does not matter) you want to make money on it.

I would like to see Win 7 marketed just over the $100 mark to get it out there and into as many hands as it could possibly get into. No matter what type of authentication service you use someone will crack it. So market the crap out of it, price it at the sweet spot and sell the hell out of it.

By the way if Apple is not a hardware company then tell me why you cannot simply buy their software and install on the PC of your choice? By making the OS dependent on a special hardware configuration, you automatically make it dependent on your hardware. (I mean without special configuration programs and having to go through all sorts of extreme actions to simply install it.)

Stewart