Apple relies on the honor system?

There seems to be a discrepancy in this string ... Can you just buy or borrow someone else's Snow Leopard and install it on any Mac or what?

db

mike wrote:
*However, in contrast to Microsoft—which offers a confusing array of full
and upgrade versions of Windows, all of them requiring that users enter a
unique serial number in order to prove they’re not pirates—Apple continues
to rely on the honor system for Mac OS X. Not only does Snow Leopard not
require the entry of any serial numbers, but the standard version of Snow
Leopard is a bootable “full install” disc that doesn’t actually check for
the presence of Leopard in order to install. This also means that if, at a
later time, you want to wipe your hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard, you
won’t have to first install Leopard and then run a separate Snow Leopard
upgrade on top of it. (That sound you hear is a thousand IT managers sighing
with relief.)*

That's from the macworld review, Tom linked...apparently never read it, just
linked it since it was from a known MFB site.  Seems they are saying, no
indeed, you do not need leopard to install to me.  Unless I'm reading it
wrong.