On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Snyder, Mark - IdM
(IS)<mark.sny...@ngc.com> wrote:

> Depends on what you use the computer for and your budget.  Generally
> every three to five years is common.  Some high end professionals
> replace their computers in two to three, some more often.  My company
> replaces laptops every three years.  Some home users keep them much
> longer, but they become less useful as things change, such as faster
> interfaces.

  I have to keep an older computer around because it has a serial port
that is needed to drive my plotter/cutter.  Could I get another newer
plotter/cutter that uses USB instead of a serial interface.  Yes, but
only if I am anxious to go deeply into debt.  Keeping the older
computer is costing me nothing.  The maker of my plotter/cutter is not
going to produce a a USB driver for this older device, so a serial to
USB conversion cable will not do the trick.

  Steve