It is called a forced Hardware Upgrade

This happens with MS releases also, although they do go further back than Apple does.

I still have an old laptop that I could not install ME on as it was not a fast enough processor (I am not sure it would even install 98SE.)

I have a couple of machines at home that will not take 7 as they are below the 1 GB processor threshold.

Apple and MS both do this to make sure people do not complain that it makes their systems run like a dog not realizing that the hardware was never designed for it to begin with.

Stewart