Like what? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, it's a serious question. I've >yet to read about any really important research that is going on in the >space station and that couldn't be done any other
way.

Microgravity offers real advanages in alloy and semiconductor
maufacturing, also pharmaceuticals.  We now know how to construct
large structures in orbit and maintain a long term presence in space.

Energy is unlimited and free.  Four nations/national consortia can boost
cargo into orbit and to the station assuming JAXA's HTV is successful.

I see the potential as enormous.  But we have to be there to realize it.

The ISS is a good start.  If we look at it as a platform for the assembly
of space-only ships, and as a fuel transfer point, we could explore the
L4 and L5 Lagrangian points.  The moon is probably not a good idea
if we can't prove the presence of water.

Robots aren't smart enough to do it all, and if we look at this new
frontier as a government monopoly we are shortchanging ourselves.

Just my opinion.