I wouldn't bet on an iPod, or any other electronic device, working after an EMP in the vicinity.

A solar flare, however, is a different kettle of fish. A historical case: in 1859, an unusually intense solar flare (the Carrington Event) induced high voltage in telegraph wires, disrupting the entire system, world-wide: sparks flew out of telegraph terminals and paper next to the terminals caught on fire. A lesser solar flare burned out transformers all over Quebec in 1989. A Carrington Event today would burn out EVERY transformer in the country, bringing the electrical grid to a screeching halt. The grid would not work again until the transformers were replaced, which would take months.

Solar flares can also damage or destroy satellites--including GPS and communications satellites.

There's one satellite--the Advanced Composition Explorer--that would give us 15 minutes of warning to another Carrington Event, but it's 11 years old and past its planned life span. (Of course, we would need some kind of emergency plan to shut off all transformers to save them; but if we didn't have the satellite to give 15 minutes of warning, no emergency plan would be possible.)

I hate to sound like a broken record, but WRITE YOUR CONGRESSPERSONS and tell them that you want the space program to get funded. Without political support, the space program--or the good parts of it, anyway--will go away.

You can also join the Planetary Society or similar associations, and be part of a group that keeps the pressure on.

--Constance