Actually, there are quite a few reasons to be in space. In addition to GPS, weather satellites, and warnings of solar flares [which, if large enough, can fry your iPod, your computer, and the entire electrical grid], the space program can warn about continent-killing asteroids. And, if we do enough research NOW, we can deflect the asteroid before it wipes out the entire eastern U.S. (or some other unlucky region) and plunges the world into something resembling nuclear winter.

It doesn't take people being launched into space to protect us from asteroids. We can develop the technology to do it with robotics and rockets.

Or we can launch someone to ride the asteroid, like the bomb in Dr. Strangelove. I can think of several people who would love to do that.

Can an EMP fry my iPod?