I find it so disappointing hot short sighted logic and well meaning people can be. DB, I'm going to pull a Star Trek reverence on you, but you're a Vulcan. It's going to take you thousands of years to figure out you need or even how to wipe your butt. To dangerous and doesn't figure in with the science. Doing great things requires great risk. I'm guessing you didn't really pay much attention in history class. I guess it really comes to where you want your kids an future relatives to be. Should they stay on a slow but basic stagnic course to future extingsion? I'm ignoring spelling. Or should they strive for more? Damn the logic and get human and go for it. If you're human, it makes you who you are.

Now to the question of who pays for it. We all pay for it in the end. And we all benefit in the end. Of course this depends on you definition of benefiting. Would you rather be chipping spear heads?
        Growing up means realizing everything comes with a cost.
        Should we outlaw the internet today? It has cost so may people so much.