This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I ordered a new computer from
Dell and they shipped the wrong box to me. I am awaiting a replacement but
it may take a while given the season. I was told I could use the wrong box
(a Precision T7500 Workstation with a Xeon Processor) while I wait for the
right one to be built and re-delivered (an XPS 9000 with an i7-920
processor).

If I install a legal version of Win7 and install all my programs on a brand
new drive that I put temporarily into the T7500, then when the XPS finally
arrives, would I be able to simply remove the T7500's new boot drive and pop
it into the XPS instead and be functional booting form the swapped drive? I
don't want to spend days setting up all of my programs on the box that has
to be sent back unless I have an easy migration to the right box when it
arrives, i.e. a migration that does not have me re-install either the OS or
more importantly all my programs. Both computers will be running on Win7 but
the hardware is different enough that I am wondering about a) license issues
or more likely b) incompatibility issues that might force me to go the
re-install route.

Anyone shed light on what I might expect, or better still, is there a better
way to accomplish what I want?

Many thanks,

Michael