Maybe you could do it, but it sounds like its not worth it.  I don't
think they care about swapping the drives, but Windows is pretty bad at
installing on different hardware -- sometimes it can work, but its a
painand takes hours to work when you can get it to work at all.

Tony B <ton...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In general, no. When you install an OS it senses all the hardware and
> tries it's best to work with that specific stuff. Replacing something
> with a lot of hardware - like a motherboard - usually requires
> reinstalling the OS. Not always, but personally I've never had good
> luck doing it. An awful lot of work just because you didn't want to
> wait a few days.
>
> Besides, if you break some kind of seal and they discover you've
> opened the case that could be trouble.
>

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Michael Wosnick <mwosn...@rogers.com> wrote:
> > This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I ordered a new computer from
> > Dell and they shipped the wrong box to me. I am awaiting a replacement but
> > it may take a while given the season. I was told I could use the wrong box
> > (a Precision T7500 Workstation with a Xeon Processor) while I wait for the
> > right one to be built and re-delivered (an XPS 9000 with an i7-920
> > processor).
> >
> > If I install a legal version of Win7 and install all my programs on a brand
> > new drive that I put temporarily into the T7500, then when the XPS finally
> > arrives, would I be able to simply remove the T7500's new boot drive and pop
> > it into the XPS instead and be functional booting form the swapped drive? I
> > don't want to spend days setting up all of my programs on the box that has
> > to be sent back unless I have an easy migration to the right box when it
> > arrives, i.e. a migration that does not have me re-install either the OS or
> > more importantly all my programs. Both computers will be running on Win7 but
> > the hardware is different enough that I am wondering about a) license issues
> > or more likely b) incompatibility issues that might force me to go the
> > re-install route.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici