> What are they called?  How does one determine if a particular camera is one
> of them.  Spec sheets seem to be short on such information.

That's the reason it's a good idea to browse sites like DPReview
(www.dpreview.com) and Steve's Digicam
(www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews). They do extensive testing of
new models and often have old reviews of a model you currently own.
You can easily get "MEGO" (My Eyes Glaze Over) but after reading a few
reviews of units in the price range, configuration, size, et al. of
your future camera, you can get a good feel for the pluses and minuses
you are making in your buying choices.

YMMV