On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Fred Holmes <f...@his.com> wrote:

> On many cameras, "manual" focus seems to mean merely "not autofocus".  I.e.,
> no camera sensor determines when the camera is focused.  But you still have
> to use the motor to move the lens elements.  There is no way to just twist
> the lens to change the focus.

  True.  However, the normal function of the motor becomes bypassed in
that a switch to the "manual" focus mode will activate a "focus ring,"
usually located at the base of the lens, that causes the motor to move
in small, tightly controlled increments.  A large turn of the ring
will make the lens move a lot, a small turn will make it move very
little.  The effect is quite similar to twisting the lens to achieve
focus, and is an attempt to replicate that tried and true method of
focusing used by SLR film cameras.

  Steve