On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Mike Sloane <mikeslo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I guess it must be something missing in my genes that I don't have the
> constant urge to yak, yak, yak endlessly. All of the conversations I
> overhear (not by choice - people seem to find it necessary to babble as
> loudly as possible while using cellphones, regardless of how personal their
> conversations are) are about virtually nothing at all. Are people afraid to
> just be alone and think?

  I know quite a number of people who definitely get nervous if their
cell phone has not rung in the last 10 or 15 minutes with a call or
text message.  These folks will stop whatever they are doing and pick
up their cell phone, seemingly worried that the battery may have died
or that they just did not hear it ring.  This will go on all day long,
and over time, it becomes very apparent that these individuals have
anxiety attacks when periods of no contact occur.

  I have even brought this habit to the attention of a few of these
folks and they have all admitted that they are, in their own words,
addicted to their cell phones.  A couple of these folks initially
denied such an addiction, but over time, and being in close contact
with those folks, they finally had to admit to their almost slavish
relationship with their phones.  Don't think for a minute that the
cell phone industry does not fully understand this addiction thing and
use it to their advantage.

  As to the overly loud talking, there is no doubt about that.  What
also amuses me is that these newer, very thin phones can let you hear
both sides of the conversation very easily.  There is just not
sufficient mass to these phones to prevent the sound from the speaker
from radiating out the rear of the device, thus enabling it to be
heard by anyone within earshot.  On many occasions I have heard both
sides of conversations, including some that I wish I had not heard.  I
have often informed some of these people of this fact, sometimes to
their chagrin.

  Steve