On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM, mike <xha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123084040
>
> *It found that month-to-month fluctuations in collision accident claims
> didn't change before and after cell phone bans took effect. Nor did accident
> patterns change compared with those in nearby states without cell phone
> bans. *
>
> *"The laws aren't reducing crashes, even though we know that such laws have
> reduced hand-held phone use, and several studies have established that
> phoning while driving increases crash risk," said Adrian Lund, president of
> the HLDI.*

  As Obama might say, let's be clear about this.  The study is not
about the effects of banning cell phone use.  The study is about how
one uses cell phones, and whether or not how a cell phone is used
makes anyone safer.  The study determined that banning hand held phone
use, but allowing for hands-free use did not change the accident rate.
 In other words, it is just as distracting to drivers to be using a
hands-free phone as it is to be using a hand held one.  How an entity
constructs the story and how the results of the study are presented to
the public can alter perceptions.  There are plenty of studies, not
disputed by any reasonable person, that clearly show that drivers on
their cell phones are more likely to be involved in or to cause an
accident than when not using their cell phones.

  Inadvertently or not, the quoted text in the original message seems
to imply that it is just as safe to talk while driving as it is to not
do so.  That is not the case at all, and is not what the study
concluded as far as I can discern.

  Steve