I have had good luck with Dell laptops.

But I stick with the Vostro or Latitude series.

Had an Compaq this summer.  Not bad.

Stewart

At 09:44 PM 3/4/2010, you wrote:
a friend of mine who is an IT consultant say nix on Dells. PLUS my Dell
laptop of 18 months old just totally died!

from what you say, why not a Netbook?

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Robert Carroll
<carrollcompu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> This listserv is so oriented towards social issues, I am almost afraid to
> ask a computer question.  But, here goes:
>
> I have always had a PC with Windows, if I exclude the Apple IIe computer.
>  I have never owned or used a laptop, only a desktop.  I think now that I
> need to buy a laptop because wife has decided to use the desktop many hours
> a day for her new-found hobby of photography: this leaves me without access
> to a computer, particularly the internet or other simple tasks.  If I get a
> laptop I will need a simple & cheap one only since wife goes to sleep early,
> thereby freeing the desktop computer.
>
> Starting with the Dell web site, I find that a laptop with:
>
> Processor  Intel TM 6600 Duo, 2.2 GHz, 800 MHz bus, 2 MB cache
> Memory 4GB 800 MHz RAM
> 500 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
> 6-cell battery
> Intel Link 5100 "N" wireless modem
> 8X CD/DVD burner (dual layer)
>
> costs $659 before shipping.
>
> Questions:
> Is this laptop a good choice? Is it a good price?  Are there other brands
> or options that I ought to consider?  Specially: I want good performance at
> the cheapest price.  I am very stingy by nature!
>
> ===
>
> P.S.  Please don't say to buy a Mac laptop instead of a Windows machine.  I
> bought my daughter a MacBook Pro and she likes it very well, but I am more
> comfortable with a Windows OS because I already have a large number of
> Windows programs that I can install on a laptop, plus I don't want to start
> a new personal learning curve to use the Mac -- i.e., sharing data between
> computer might be hard -- and I want to go cheap(!!) to buy a laptop.

Judy

Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
mailto:popoz...@earthlink.net
Ozark, AL  SL 82