We have two Philips HDTVs -- one 37" LCD [1080p] and one 42" plasma [1080i], both 4 years old and are excellent. We bought them before prices crashed, so we had to look hard for a decent price. The huge TVs, bigger than 46" are good if you have no life because they dominate the room and are distracting, IMHO.

Everything is cheaper now. As I've said before, I'd avoid Sony--they're beautiful, and they'll break [your heart]. Samsung TVs are excellent. They used to call Vizio TVs "Buzzio" but they've improved significantly, so I hear. One thing to consider, no matter whose label is on the TV, there are only a few flat panel manufacturers. Philips is one, Samsung is another, there are a few others. Also there's no such thing as a consumer LED TV on the market yet. The ones that advertise LED are LCD panels with LED backlight, which reduces power consumption, a good thing.

Both Philips TVs have HDMI, composite, component, S-video, USB, stereo speakers, etc.

Buy locally, even from a big box store. Costco is OK; Sears has good sales; Beast Buy sometimes has good sales; Fry's too; avoid Walmart. DON'T BUY ONLINE OR HAVE IT SHIPPED!! That is unless you can be home to accept it AND have the delivery truck wait while you open and test your TV. When the TV arrives broken it's yours if you didn't examine it on arrival. Search for horror stories about delivery nightmares, especially with Amazon.

You'll be mesmerized. Buy two.

Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:28:36 -0700

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-42PFL3704D-F7-42-Inch-1080p/dp/B001LP6LPG

Something like that appears to be a good deal...under six bills at a local
dealer.