Statutory rape comes to the attention of authorities usually in two ways:
the parents "find out" or the girl reports it, often because it is a "real
rape" but may not be provable as such.  That was the problem in *Michael M.*
Michael slugged Sharon several times in the face, leaving bruises, but Calif
a tthe time had a resistance requirement and it wasn't enough force to
overcome that requirement or even to "vitiate consent". She said no, but
that wasn't enough.  *Pace* Justice Blackmun's turning the earlier "making
out" into "foreplay", and the slugging into "intimacies",  under current
California  law, this would be a rape.  *Pace* Mae Kuykendahl, my students
traditionally have been up in arms asking why it wasn't charged as a rape
(and I tell them about the then-existing law)  and many are unwilling to
find "consent" below the age of about 15 (and developmental psych and new
research on adolescents suggests that one cannot presume "consent i nthe way
we adults understand it until around 15-16)
Justice Stevens' dissent notes that states with gender-neutral statutes did
not seem to have a problem enforcingthier laws and then goes into a riff
about punishing the more "culpable" party as a way to deal with the problem
of prosecuting both partners.
For articles examining the difference in "consent" and consequences to girls
as opposed to boys, see Michelle Oberman, *Turning girls into WOmen . . .*
85 J. Crim. L. & Criminology 15 (1994) and Symposium on Statutory Rape in
DePaul L Rev. 2001 (?) ( I don't have the cite handy, I apologize) But see
Fran Olsen's critique in Texas L. review. Fran's article is very useful for
having the students examine all the different ways in which the calif law
discriminates on the basis of gender in all directions. (  I Interestingly,
current Federal law gives prosecutors incentive grants to prosecute
statutory rape and requires pregnant teenagers to identify the father of the
child in order to be eligible for a TANF grant.  Mandatory reporting laws
alos require medicalpersonnel to report sexual activity, but these laws tend
to be ignored in cases of teenagers even if sexual abuse has occurred)
Back to law:
The so-called liberal California Supreme Court found that the risk of
teenage pregnancy was a compelling state interest in the case, with Justice
Mosk dissenting.   The majority opinions in *Michael M* ar eall a little
weird, but perhaps the underlying facts pushed the Court to uphold the
statute in part.  Justice Rehnquist said inermediate scrutiny didn't apply
because men and women ar enot "similarly situated" with respect to
pregnancy, then analysed the case under both rational basis and intermediate
prongs;  if pregancy is the frame for comparison, then even given cases
after *Michael M*, rational basis would still apply.  It is unlikely to get
back to the Supreme Court, however, since only  a few states havenot
switched to gender-neutral "statutory rape" laws.
Many statutes now do distinguish on the basis of age difference--the Federal
laws came from concerns about adult male exploitaiton of young
womenh/teenage girls (and it is a problem, especially in some ethnic
communities) .  Other statutes  make distinctions in punishment based on the
age differences--the Model Penal Code does this.  Others, like California's,
dont make a facial distinction, but as we learned in the "Spur Posse" case,
DAs hardly ever prosecute statutory rape (that is changing given the federal
monetary incentives, however)
The struggle I see coming is over age-of-consent,  with a horrible subtext
involving arguments that pedophilia and/or sexual abuse of the young is not
harmful, etc.
Best
Lynne