I appreciate Bryan's arguments in favor of gender neutrality here,
but does he have any thoughts on the prosecution problem?  If a state law
prohibits, say, all sex with under-16-year-olds (with no Romeo/Juliet
provision), how can this ever be enforced when two 15-year-olds are having
sex?  Presumably both will take the Fifth, and the likely witnesses -- often
parents of one of the children -- won't want to testify or even call the
police, given that their own child would be put at risk of prosecution.
What to do?  I suppose it might be possible to have some other rule, such as
prosecuting the older one but not the younger one, even if the difference is
a few months.  Would that be the suggestion, and would it be effective?

        More broadly, assume that the danger to girls -- the physical danger
of pregnancy, the less imbalanced physical danger of STDs (as I understand
it, STDs are more easily spread from men to women rather than vice versa,
but I may be wrong), and the empirical sense that girls are more likely to
be reluctant participants than boys, and thus more likely to be emotionally
hurt by relationships gone bad (as relationships often do) -- does appear
greater than the danger to boys.  If that's so, then would it be fair to
prosecute the 15-year-old girl (and often not the 15-year-old boy, for the
reasons I mention above, at least assuming the sex-neutral tiebreaker, such
as age, cuts in favor of prosecuting the girl) under a statute that's aimed
at protecting the girls themselves?

        I should say that my sympathies are with equal treatment without
regard to sex here; and I should also say that I'm not wild about statutory
rape laws with fixed age tests (as opposed to difference-between-the-ages
tests).  Still, the objections I mention above give me pause, so I was
wondering if Bryan could dispel them.

        Eugene