Two questions apropos this:

        1)  Assume that we have a sex-neutral statutory rape law, which bars
all sex by anyone with children under age 16.  Say that a 15-year-old girl
believes a 15-year-old boy has actually raped her.  If she (or a parent)
complains to the police, then she risks that if the boy tells a persuasive
story that this was consensual, *she* will end up being prosecuted for
statutorily raping him (as well as vice versa).  Is this likely to be a
serious problem?  If it is, what should be our reaction to it?

        2)  Here's a guess, based on intuition rather than any factual
evidence:  I suspect that most states that don't have problems with
gender-neutral statutory rape laws avoid the problems by simply having a
policy of not prosecuting women or girls who have sex with boys, at least
unless there's some aggravating circumstance (e.g., 35-year-old
schoolteacher, 13-year-old schoolboy).  If the policy is well enough
understood, to the point of being taken for granted, 15-year-old girls might
not be that worried about complaining about 15-year-old boys (or you can
change that to 17 in states, such as California, where the age of consent is
18).  But surely if facially sex-based statutory rape laws are
unconstitutional, so are these sex-based enforcement policies, no?

        Eugene