But then the contrast between republicanism and democracy is stark only when democracy is interpreted as direct, unconstrained majoritarianism. If few theorists today embrace this sense of democracy, the contrast between democracy and republicanism ceases to be very interesting.
I'm not sure about theorists, but there are a number of states whose citizens are firmly committed the idea of direct, unconstrained majoritarianism -- those states with initiative processes, where a simple majority of the voting citizens can amend the state constitution or enact legislation.  The current "literature," which usually means the theorists, is generally negative about initiatives, and while I share many of the concerns reflected therein, it cannot be denied that they are politically popular.

Bill Funk
Lewis & Clark Law School
in Orygone