Bobby has raised exactly the sort of question that this list exists to
discuss:  "What purposes does (or ought) the U.S. Constitution exist to
serve?" and "what vocabulary best captures those purposes?"

Collective "self-rule" may well be useful description of what the U.S. (and
other) constitutions ought to achieve.  I prefer the framers' vocabulary only
because I understand it better.

If one accepts that all collective decisions in large political groups involve
overriding minority views, then basing a constitutional theory on the
importance of "self-rule" will require explaining the sense in which
overridden minorities still enjoy "self-rule".  I am not suggesting that this
is not a worthwhile project, but rather inviting someone to take a stab at
describing the nature and purpose of collective self-rule as a constitutional
value.  (I think that I remember a previous thread on this list in which it
was proposed that "self-rule" might be analogous to "self-determination" under
international law, but proponents of the concept of "self-rule" insisted on a
difference.)

"Liberty" strikes me as a more useful and important concept than "self-rule"
both historically, and as a matter of constitutional morality.  One can lose a
vote under a just constitution, without losing one's liberty.

         Tim Sellers