1.  Forgive one more word on this tangent.  Whether and how GA resolutions contribute
to customary international law is actually quite controversial among international
lawyers, as is whether a particular state's acceptance of a resolution makes a
difference (putting aside the possibility of persistent objection to the underlying
norm).  In my view, a particular vote for a GA resolution, which is clearly
non-binding in and of itself and would be understood as such by the voting state,
could tip the scales in favor of a binding norm against it only in extraordinary
circumstances.  Mr. Martin may be depending on the exceptional fact that the
resolution in question was particular or regional in character (i.e., dealing with
U.S. territory), and thus *might* bind the state(s) especially implicated and voting
in favor of it.  But that's different than GA resolutions of general application,
which may be what prompted the previous poster's concern.  Errr, with respect to the
weight!
  given such resolutions by Article III courts, esp. as to questions of U.S.
constitutional law, I add for sake of topicality.

2. On the subject of secession and self-rule, it's interesting that the draft EU
constitution (at least the last draft I saw) would permit Member States to withdraw
after it comes into force, but only if withdrawal were approved by a qualified
majority of the remaining members.  For those interested not only in this particular
hybrid of int'l and const'l law, but also for comparative constitutional law in
general, what's going on in Brussels is fascinating -- horizontal and vertical
separation of powers, citizenship, individual rights, textual commitments to
democratic life, secession (and being thrown out, too), it's all being scripted right
now.

Best regards,

Ed Swaine