-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for con law professors
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Sanford Levinson
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 5:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: WELFARE, FOREST FIRES, AND THE CONSTITUTION

Jonathan Adler writes:

At 03:13 PM 10/30/2003, you wrote:
>Insofar as a plausible case could be made that federal (mis)management of
>federal lands (national forests, BLM forests, etc.) and federal
restrictions
>on land-use under various environmental statutes (such as the Endangered
>Species Act) contributed to the severity of the fires, could not one then
>argue that there is a basis for federal assistance?
>
>I am not saying that such a demonstration could be made in this case.
While
>there is clear evidence either or both factors played a role with various
>fires in prior years, I do not know of any conclusive evidence in this
case.
>My only suggestion is that insofar as one could demonstrate some level of
>federal culpability in the disaster, would not there also be a
justification
>for federal compensation?

What this reminds me of is Brennan's dissent in DeShaney. I.e., he's
unwilling to junk the whole "state action" analysis and instead claims that
Wisconsin is "really" responsible for "Poor Joshua."   Assuming no
sovereign immunity, what result if California sues the United States for
"mismanaging" the forests and otherwise restricting California in its
efforts to fight forest fires?

sandy